The targets of the program involve all lecturers, students, and alumni of the Department of History. All of them are expected to be able to work professionally in the field of history by strengthening the content of the curriculum based on historical expertise, improving the human resources of lecturers in research and teaching, as well as strengthening the alumni network.
The program aims at producing graduates with following qualities:
- Able to understand and master the basic concepts of historical science as well as the theories and methodology of historical research
- Able to understand and master some foreign languages (Dutch and English) to conduct historical research, especially the research related to urban and maritime histories.
- Able to conduct historical researches using principles and methodology in history studies.
- Able to diversify the results of their study and research in society
- Able to be an open, creative, and responsive graduates towards the latest changes and developments in history.
Achievement Strategies Strategies of Learning Outcome Achievement
Bachelor Program in History Department of History Faculty of Humanities Universitas Airlangga has implemented Semester Credit System (SKS) with the credits should be achieved range from 144 to 160 credits. Those credits are divided into two groups of courses, (1) compulsory, and (2) elective courses. The implementaion of the credit system aims to provide students a wider opportunity in planning their learning activities every semester. The embodiment of the education system and teaching methods offered is generally divided as follows:
- Face to face lecture using a dialogical, open and democratic method. The face-to-face lecture can be conducted in forms of lectures, discussions, presentations, consultations, and group learning. In this program, the face-to-face lecture is intended to deepen concepts, theories, and methodologies. In addition, the face-to-face lecture performed in some courses usually combines classroom tutorial method with practical training method, such as in Dutch, Research Method and Practice in History, Local History, Museology, Archieving, and Oral History. As a result, students are expected to be able to simultaneously acquire theoretical and practical knowledge of historical research. The face-to-face lecture performed is also supported and equipped with various techniques and learning tools, such as audio visual, white board, Power Point slides, and e-learning facilities including multimedia and internet access.
- Public lecture is primarily intended for new students to have an initial and general understanding of studies to be undertaken in courses offered by the program. The themes of public lectures are Indonesian Historiography and General Historiography and this method is conducted by inviting guest lecturers from other universities in Indonesia as well as abroad. The public lecture is held at least once a semester.
- Practice Training (PKL) is conducted under the guidance of a lecture in certain scheduled course Practice Training aims to apply concepts and theories obtained in the classroom. In addition, Practice Training can be considered as a training and learning medium for students to be able to map problems and find solutions.
- Seminar is divided into two kinds, namely seminar as a course for composing undergraduate thesis proposal and seminar as an extra academic activity for discussing historical themes. Seminar as a course aims to prepare students with certain skills in building ideas, thinking critically, and analyzing scientifically. In this course, students are expected to conduct a preliminary research prior to composing an undergraduate On the other hand, seminar as an extra academic activity aims to update the concepts, theories, as well as latest studies in historiography (historical writing). In this seminar activity, speakers invited can be lecturers, alumni, stakeholders, practitioners, and scholars.
- Workshop is offered to train student’s skills in performing written historical research, as well as other soft skills needed in working as a strategy for fullfilling academic vision and market demands.
- Student Exchange program is offered to allow students to gain knowledge in universities abroad. As a result, students can enrich their scientific knowledge and can build a network in international level. Every year, there are some students of the program joining student exchange program. In addition, there are also some foreign students joining inbound student exchange program in the bachelor program in History, Department of History Universitas Airlangga.
- To complete the study, the students are required to compose an undergraduate thesis supervised by a thesis advisor. The undergraduate thesis must be preceded by the Proposal Seminar. In the future the the students are allowed to choose one out of two options; completing the study by writing an undergraduate thesis, or creating documentary video that can later be published through various media to society or decision makers in order to improve their awareness of the importance of historical considerations in policy making process.